Throughout the school year, we will offer workshops for families related to parenting and academics. Please note that dates may be subject to change.
2018-2019 Workshop Schedule Coming Soon
Specific dates are TBD, however, these are some of the workshops that will be offered during the 2018-2019 school year:
- Breakfast with Maggie series, Friday mornings at 8:30am. Bring your breakfast, and join Maggie for an informal discussion about life at Peck Slip!! Once per month, throughout the school year.
- Literacy Workshops – literacy consultant Jaime Margolies and Peck Slip teachers will present 3 workshops covering how literacy is taught at these grade levels : K-1, 2-3 and 4-5. In the Fall.
- Math workshops – math consultant Renee McShane will join Peck Slip teachers to present 3 workshops on how math is taught at our school: K-1, 2-3, 4-5. In the Fall.
- What Would Teachers Do? Join 2nd Grade teacher Gretchen Lustig for a workshop aimed to provide some behavioral techniques that teachers use to help kids learn and work in diverse environments. In the Fall.
- Bullying Awareness and Prevention. Is it bullying, conflict, or something else? Join Kate Greenberg of School Health Solutions to understand the differences, and learn how to help. In the Fall.
- Preparing for the Tween Stage, and Living Through it! 2 workshops (one for PK-2 families, one for 3-5). It is well known how hard the teen years can be, but many parents are unprepared for the stage right before: the tween years, which can be more challenging in some ways! Join author and parenting expert Sean Grover as he offers strategies for setting families up for success during that stage. In the Fall.
- Helping Your Child Build Critical Life Skills. Are you riding the roller coaster of your child’s emotions? Join us to learn the essential ingredients for raising successful, resilient, self-reliant children. We will touch on skills supporting: problem solving, tolerating frustration and reducing anxiety. Featuring guest speaker Nayeli Calle-Sousa, LCSW. In the Winter.
- How To Talk So Your Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Your Kids Will Talk. Many parents treasure the famous book of the same name by authors Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. Join us for a workshop to help you put those skills into practice! In the Winter.
- State Testing. Join us to learn how we prepare Peck Slip students for the state tests in the Spring, and how you can help reduce anxiety around testing. In the Winter.
- Discussing the Birds and the Bees With Your Child. Unsure of when to have “the talk” and how to present it in an age-appropriate way? Join Kate Greenberg of School Health Solutions for the answers! In the Spring.
- A Morning with Bill Gordh. Ever wonder why Bill Gordh is one of your child’s favorite visitors to Peck Slip? Join Bill as he shows you how he creates his storytelling magic with the students of Peck Slip. In the Spring.
- Middle School for 4th Grade Families. Nervous about the middle school application process? Join Rebecca and Denise as they walk you through everything you need to know to have a stress-free middle school application experience! In the Spring.
- Me. You. Us. Diversity/Inclusion Workshops. We are committed to Peck Slip being a completely inclusive, safe environment for all students and adults. A few times a year, we have workshops where we explore our dimensions of diversity, how we send and receive messages, and how we engage or disengage. 3-4 evenings per school year.
Offerings subject to change.
Breakfast With Maggie Series, Friday Mornings at 8:30am
Once per month, bring your breakfast and join fellow Peck Slip parents for an informal conversation with Maggie about life at Peck Slip.
November 22 (Wednesday – New Date!)
Parent Workshop Schedule
|Date||Workshop||Time||Location and Presenter|
|Wednesday, 10/4||Middle School|
Rebecca Newfield and Denise Greene
|Tuesday, 11/21||How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk||8:30am|| Room 226|
The Parenting Center at Henry Street Settlement
|Thursday, 1/11||Helping Your Children Build Critical Life Skills|
2. Parenting worksheet packet in English
|Tuesday, 1/30||Preparing for the Tween Stage (PK-2 Families)||8:30am||Room 226|
|Thursday, 2/1||Me. You. Us. Talking About Race with Our Kids||5:45pm||Cafeteria. Babysitting and pizza provided for Peck Slip students.|
|Friday, 2/2||Living Through the Tween Stage (Grades 3-5)|
Links to Sean Grover articles on Kids and Technology:
1. How technology lowers emotional intelligence in kids2. 3 Mistakes parents make with technologyhttps://www.waituntil8th.org/
|Tuesday, 3/6||Talking About the Birds and the Bees With Your Child|
1. Sex and Sexuality Presentation
2. Talking to Kids Quick Reference
3. Sexuality and Puberty Resources
|Monday, 3/5||Math for 2nd Grade||3:00pm||Room 314|
|Monday, 3/12||A Morning with Bill Gordh||8:30am||Room 226|
|Thursday, 5/24||Middle School Meeting for 4th Grade Parents Middle School Presentation 2018||8:30am||Room 226|
Rebecca Newfield & Denise Greene
|Friday, 5/25||Bullying – Awareness and Prevention||8:30am||Room 226|
|Friday, 6/1||What Would Teachers Do?||8:30am||Room 226|
Academic Workshop Schedule
|Friday, 1/19||State Testing|
|Friday, 1/26||Family Math Morning for Grades 4 & 5||8:30am||Room 226|
|Wednesday, 2/28||Literacy for Grades 2-3|
|Tuesday, 3/20||Literacy for Grades 4-5||8:30am||Room 226|
|Tuesday, 4/10 – NEW DATE!||Literacy for Grades K-1||8:30am||Room 226|
Peck Slip is committed to creating an environment where every student, staff member and family member feels respected and appreciated, regardless of their differences. Our workshop series is devoted to engaging in dialogue around the importance of understanding others’ experiences and stories, looking at research around identity development and how/when it manifests itself in kids. Through this important work, we can build inclusion in a meaningful, supported, and genuine way that will help our children be open and accepting of everyone around them.
|Wednesday, 10/18||Me. You. Us. Going Beyond a Single Story||5:45pm||Room 226|
|Thursday, 2/1||Me. You. Us. Talking About Race with Our Kids||5:45pm||Room 226|
|Thursday, 4/19||Me. You. Us. Windows and Mirrors||5:45pm||Room 226|
|Thursday, 5/24||Me.You. Us. Diversity Beyond Race||5:45pm||Room 226|